Please wait while we get your search results
Valuation Hotline 0800 505 3355
Property search

What Do I Need to Become a Landlord?

There are a few basic requirements for anyone looking to become a landlord and rent out their investment property - find out all about them here.

If you are interested in letting out your property and becoming a landlord, the first question you might ask is ‘what do I need to be a landlord’?

Apart from being the owner of a suitable property to let out, there are just two certificates you will need to have in place before you can let out your property. They are:

  • Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). This is a legal requirement for any property that is to be rented out. The certificate provides information about the property’s energy use and typical energy costs. It gives the property an energy-efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for ten years. To acquire an EPC you will need to find an accredited assessor to carry out an inspection of the property. Preston Baker can arrange this for you, at a cost of £80 (+VAT).

  • Gas Safety Certificate. You must have a Gas Safety Certificate in place before you can rent out your property. To get this you will need a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out a safety check on all gas appliances and flues in your property. This will assure tenants that all fittings and appliances are safe to use. These gas safety checks must be carried out every 12 months and a new certificate issued.

To become a landlord with Preston Baker, you will also need to sign our terms of business, which set out the expectations and responsibilities of all parties. For more information and advice, contact your local branch.